Yes, another one from good ol' Mom
potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 inch chunks
6 cups shredded green cabbage (one small head)
4 oz soy margarine
1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
1/2 cup scallions, thinly sliced
black pepper, freshly ground to taste
nutritional yeast, optional
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Lightly oil a 3 quart baking dish.
- Place potatoes in a large heavy pot.
- Add salted water to cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook until tender, 10-20 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, drop the shredded cabbage into another pot of salted, boiling water.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender about 6 minutes.
- Drain the cabbage and set aside.
- When the potatoes are tender, drain them and return them to the pot.
- Place them over low heat and shake, uncovered, for about 30 seconds to evaporate excess moisture.
- Remove from heat and mash the potatoes with an electric mixer or potato masher.
- Add the margarine and1 teaspoon salt.
- Mash until smooth.
- Fold in the scallions and reserved cabbage.
- Adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper.
- Spread mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle with nutritional yeast, if desired
- Bake uncovered for 30-50 minutes or until the top is golden.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.