peeled and chopped
1 tablespoon soy margarine
1 1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and diced
1 quart vegetable stock or water
1 bunch of watercress, washed and leaves cut from stem
- Sauté the onion in margarine, covered for five minutes. Do not brown it.
- Add the potatoes and watercress stems.
- Cover again and cook gently for 5-10 minutes more.
- Stir from time to time. Do not allow the vegetables to brown.
- Stir in the stock or water.
- Cover and simmer for about twenty minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Reserve four small watercress sprigs for garnish, then puree the soup in a blender with the rest of the watercress.
- Season to taste with the salt and pepper.
- Reheat without boiling and serve in warmed bowls, topped with a bit of fresh watercress.